Since the shooting in Tucson of Gabrielle Giffords and 14 other people, I've wanted to make some kind of comment on it. But something's been stopping me.
I don't mean the usual "I'm too busy with school to comment" thing that I've been going through the past few months. Which I have -- I'm scheduled to turn in my portfolio and have my teaching certification follow soon after that. I mean, as much as I send my sympathy out to the victims of the shooting and their families, I've been having a hard time putting into words what I've been feeling about what's been going on in the past week-plus that we've been experiencing. Not about the event itself, but the aftermath.
How would you feel if your values were attacked on a regular basis by a bunch of people who call themselves "journalists?"
Since the shooting, we've experienced a wave of hate from the leftist media that, right from the gate, decided to use this tragedy as a way to attack those on the right, reflecting their own hate onto those of us who don't think the way they do. There's been times during this whole thing that I've wanted to pull my hair out over this because of how these people want to characterize the right, but I was afraid that I would end up bald before I could teach in a classroom.
Through numerous tragedies, there's often a call to not rush to judgements. For some reason, before the dust could even settle the liberals watching the news assumed that the gunman had to be a Tea Party member or at least someone in the right wing because Giffords was a Democrat. And despite the details coming out that the shooter, 22 year old Jared Lee Loughner, was just a kid with a possible undiagnosed mental illness, the liberals would not let go of their idea that this kid had to be a conservative.
They tried to blame a "crosshairs" map that SarahPAC (Sarah Palin's Political Action Committee) had released last year prior to the November election which had Giffords district targeted. It failed because the Democrats had their own "target" map, and liberal gadflys Daily KOS had their own "target" list which also featured Giffords. They tried to blame political rhetoric from talk radio hosts such as Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh, despite the revelation that Loughner didn't listen to talk radio or watch the news according to a friend. And despite all the finger pointing in the direction of the right, it's becoming more and more clear that the shooter had no real political agenda but was a sick person that needed help.
I'm at the point where I can't stand listening to liberals anymore. Because it depresses me.
There are times where I take politics personally. This is one of those times, because I feel like that my views are being attacked because of something a lone idiot did.
I know that I'm not planning on sitting down and taking it. I plan to fight. I will not let the liberal elites knock me down. I will stand and defend myself and my views. I refuse to believe that anything I say can cause someone to be violent. Words may have meaning, but they don't have magic powers. Those who act on those words in a violent way are deranged, and would be set off if someone said the word "pancake" to them. Would we have to ban pancakes in fear that someone would act violently?
I needed to get this all off my chest. It's been weighing heavy on my heart this entire time. I don't like the idea of being accused of something that is wrong based on my ideology. And it's been tough going online and reading the stories from those who hate what I stand for. Well, guess what? I'm not backing down. And you shouldn't, either.
No comments:
Post a Comment