Sunday, January 10, 2010

First Amendment

I'm looking at my last two posts, and I realized how much I've been occupied with First Amendment issues. As a future English teacher, it's something I have to keep in mind when assigning literature -- First Amendment issues and appropriateness.

In the case of the two things I talked about, I think they both have a right to exist. I wouldn't show "The Unfunnies" to a kid, but if the kid is mature enough to handle it, I would have no problem with letting them watch or read "Death Note."

It's all about knowing your kids and what they can handle (and what you are comfortable with what you think they can handle).

Again using "Death Note" as an example -- if a school district allowed me to use it in the classroom, I think that it would be a good discussion among the kids. It brings up a lot of important issues about right and wrong and the limits we have in the legal system and why they're in place. It makes for a good discussion.

As a parent and stepparent, I have to think about those things when it comes to entertainment for the kids. Some of them are in our Home Theater, such as the "Saw" movies (which my husband was just compelled to want to watch -- I liked the first one, but personally the rest just seemed like "torture porn"). I already told my two older stepkids that they aren't allowed to watch the movies (it's easy to monitor when the living room is so open). I also told my husband to wait until after the 16 month old goes to bed before watching them in his spare time because I'm afraid of some of the images getting stuck in his little head. But I also know I can't shield the two older ones forever. I've started letting the 15 year old watch some of the (older) horror movies in my collection because the violence in them isn't as bad as what's out there now. Over Halloween I let him watch the original "Halloween," because I knew that he could handle it because it's not really all that violent -- it's all atmosphere. (His reaction: "Not bad for an older movie.")

I wish more parents did this rather than just put a blanket over everything they hear in the media about video games, movies, television, etc. I think if we did that more we could be better parents to our kids. We can't protect them from everything, but we can monitor it and make sure the worst of the world stays out of their lives a little longer.

No comments:

Advertisement -- PeopleString